Grand Fire Protection District No. 1 is seeking interested and qualified individuals to become volunteer firefighters. This is an exciting and rewarding opportunity for you to serve your community and become a member of our outstanding organization.
- Must be 18 years of age
- High School diploma or GED
- Proper documentation to complete I-9 and be employed in the USA
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and able to pass DMV check
- Pass a CBI or equivalent background check
- Maintain active Volunteer Fire Department status and be in good standing
- Pass a post offer physical examination and/or drug screen as required
- Pass a physical agility exam
- Pass a written basic firefighting exam
Individuals interested in becoming a new volunteer firefighter need to complete an application, provide references, sign a criminal and driving background release form. The application will be reviewed and applicants will be invited to visit and meet with the Fire Chief and/or Department Officers. The applicant will be notified of acceptance and placed on a waiting list for the next Fire Academy to begin.
All new recruits are required to attend the Department’s six-month Fire Academy, in addition to all Department Fire Trainings. The Fire Academy will provide the recruits an opportunity to learn basic firefighting skills with assistance from the Department’s Training Officer and experienced Fire Department personnel. All trainings are held at the Headquarters Fire Station and begin at 7:00 P.M.
New volunteer firefighters will be on probationary status for a period of 9-months. They will be required to read and study the Essentials of Firefighting Training Manual and pass a physical agility exam and written basic firefighting exam. Attendance in the Department’s Fire Academy will help ensure your success. Upon completion of the Fire Academy and probationary period new recruits will be eligible for full membership.
We appreciate your interest in Grand Fire Protection District No. 1 and please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you soon.